Saturday, August 22, 2009

30 Days on a Diabetic Diet - Day 1

I've taken several weeks off from blogging and while it has felt good on one level, it also feels as though I'm missing insights and learnings. For the past 3-weeks I've been focusing on various intentions and calling in my Team. There hasn't been much to blog about that, in that regards. It's more of a wait and see.

Then, last night we had dinner with some good friends. The woman came down with gestation diabetes with her last pregnancy, which went away after giving birth, four months ago. She was told there is a possibility it would stay with her, so she stayed on her "diabetic diet", just to be sure. She has lost about 20 lbs from where she was before her pregnancy and is feeling terrific (she should be exhausted with a newborn and a 5-year old). She calls it a blessing in disguise. Her weight is now perfectly normal.

This got me thinking. I have wanted to lose 10-15 lbs for about 30 years!!! Amazing when I think about it. As I get older, I can't carry this extra weight as gracefully as I could when I was younger. The last few years I have felt quite frumpy. When I look at myself in the mirror, I am surprised because my body doesn't reflect the perky and lively spirit it contains.

Something in me just clicked last night and this morning I am starting a new 30-day intention: to be on a diabetic diet for 30 days and just see what happens. It's an experiment - which is a mindset that works well for me. Up until now, losing weight has been more of a "should" than a "want to". Whenever I have thought about it in the past, I felt diminished. But now it feels invigorating – like the next natural step in my development (thanks Maja for that insight).

Fortunately, I've got all the literature from Cap's doctors about what to eat, the proportions, and how to count. It's mainly about the carbs (which includes fruits and starchy vegetables). This morning I made myself a check box and a quick reference sheet on carbs. I can have 6 portions of carbs a day and 2 fruits. Whenever I eat one portion, I check one of the boxes on my sheet. That way, I'll stay the course very easily (yes, I’m a BIG J on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator).

To set myself up for success, I purchased ingredients today for a killer salad - one I've already made up that will last me about 5 days. And I bought ingredients for low-fat hummus and also more beans. I'm looking forward to having the hummus with raw vegetables. As a vegan, just about all of my protein also contains carbs. Beans are both protein and carbs, which is better for me than bread.

This time of year, I tend to eat a lot of fruit - on my diabetic diet, I'm allowed two a day. I'm seeing now just how many carbs I put into my diet. I'm wondering if after a few days I will also notice a change in my energy. I'm suspecting it will be more even, not spiky. I'm also figuring I'll need to eat a little bit throughout the day instead of eating a lot a just few times a day...which I think is better for me anyway - spread out the energy I put into my body and I will have a more even output as well.

So, I am committing myself to this experiment for 30 days. I am asking you to be my witnesses and support. I also commit to blogging no less than 4 times a week during this experiment.

And the journey continues…

No comments:

Followers